Wednesday, April 18, 2007


Leslie in the City

At last! I’m on with the hurly-burlies of the so-called CIUDAD. I’ve spent most of my life’s time in the tranquil town of Biñan in Laguna, and spending my three most recent years in the lush green fields and canopy of Los Baños where I’m living by the name of being an ISKOLAR NG BAYAN. Thanks for the UPLB ComArts curriculum for giving me a permissible excuse for going in the Metro. Thanks for the 120 hours of Practicum in my major field, which is Writing, and another 120 hours for Speech and Theater practicum. I am in my grandest vacation, spending the whole two months of summer away from home! Haha!

It was really a chaotic first day. Traveling from south to north was no joke. It was a scorching hot Sunday afternoon when my mom and I ventured the journey to QC. While everyone’s going gaga for Pacman’s fight over Sison, I was on the bus, mustering all the courage I need before living a life in CIUDAD. The next encounter was with a swindler cum taxi driver who charged us with a hundred-buck-five-minute ride. I’m an advocate of peace so I kept myself cool as possible, but I’m not naive, so he better be ready for the next encounter. Haha!

Another thing is that the temperature here in CIUDAD seems to rise in continuity—unbearable I guess. For three days, I haven’t got a good-night sleep. May be the cause of sudden throb in my temples.

So what is in store for me in three weeks time? Are my bubbles bursting already?


Life in CIUDAD became worthwhile when Monday arrived, and I came to realize my purpose in here. An orientation about APFTI, the NGO I am currently working at for my practicum was given by Sir Ronald. Finally, I had a grasp of the things I am about to do for the next three weeks. But wait, there’s more. Having the knowledge of what the organization really is inspired me to work, realizing that it was such an honor for me to become a part of the campaign for fair trade. I have found the essence of the chaos I went through.

One step at a time, the process of learning is becoming more exciting. Yesterday, we (Mafe and I) had the opportunity to experience the Manila F.A.M.E. at the World Trade Center. The impact of the event was so strong. I was moved. The whole event is a showcase of what Filipinos are capable of doing—the crafts that only gifted hands can do was magnificent. Products from all over the country was put together in one place for the whole world to see that the Philippines is home of pure ingenuity.

Behind the spectacle, there lies a query that bothers me. Who made these amazing items? What life are they living? How did they do these items? As an advocate of fair trade (Well, I consider myself now) I do hope that these crafts were made from the adherence of the principles of fair trade. I can’t stand it, thinking that when a foreign buyer looks at a piece of capiz chime, he is actually looking at an eight-year old child, deprived of the joys of his childhood for making that piece of craft to help augment his family’s income. Behind that piece of craft lies the truth—a slice of life that Filipino producers possess.

So why do care now of the heat, overpriced taxi fee, and hurly-burly of the so-called CIUDAD? Seeing people of APFTI working for the common goal of promoting fair trade makes me proud and say that it is all worth it!



-Leslie

No comments: